Guidelines for “CLUB” Indoor Pickleball at Oliver Woods – Sept 2020
These guidelines were developed to support safe and appropriate protocols and practices as approved by Provincial Health Organization (PHO) to facilitate the expected transition period back to regular indoor pickleball play at Oliver Woods. These guidelines were developed for conditions as they existed when they were written but may be altered in response to direction provided by the Island Health, the Ministry of Health and/or the Provincial/Island Health Medical Health Officer.
COVID-19 AND TRANSMISSION (from viaSportBC)
COVID-19 is transmitted via liquid droplets when a person coughs or sneezes but also potentially when they are talking in very close proximity to another person. The virus in these droplets then can enter the body of another person when that person breathes in the droplets or when the droplets touch the eyes, nose or throat of that person.
This requires you to be in close contact – less than the so-called physical distancing of three to six feet. This is referred to as ‘droplet’ transmission and is believed to be the primary way COVID-19 is transmitted.
COVID-19 can also be transmitted through droplets in the environment if someone touches a contaminated area then touches their face without cleaning their hands. The virus does not enter the body through skin, it enters through the eyes, nose or mouth when the person touches their face. Unfortunately, human beings touch their faces very often throughout the day, much more than they realize. This is why regular handwashing and cleaning of high-touch surfaces is so important.
For COVID-19 there are some emerging indications that there are people who can shed COVID-19 virus 24 to 48 hours prior to symptom onset, but at present, it is not known whether this is a significant risk factor for transmission.
Droplet transmission is much more likely when in close contact in an indoor setting. Transmission is less likely in an outdoor setting, where there is more space for people to keep physically distanced. However, in the context of sports, even outdoors there can be risks from high-touch surfaces because many sports involve objects that are normally shared among players, coaches or volunteers (balls, equipment, etc.).
SYMPTONS OF COVID-19 (from viaSportBC)
The symptoms of COVID-19 are similar to other respiratory illnesses, including the flu and the common cold. These symptoms include fever, chills, cough, shortness of breath, sore throat and painful swallowing, stuffy or runny nose, loss of sense of smell, headache, muscle aches, fatigue and loss of appetite.
People infected with COVID-19 may experience little or no symptoms, with illness ranging from mild to severe.
Some people are more vulnerable to developing severe illness or complications from COVID-19, including older people and those with chronic health conditions
Oliver Woods Facility
- No furniture will be in the lobby.
- Users of the facility must enter through the front door at the time of their booking/program and head directly to their program space.
- Users must arrive at the start of the booking and leave from an exterior door from the gym being used. They are discouraging random arrival times and will schedule staggered starts to avoid gatherings in the lobby and congestion for patrons using bathrooms.
- Bookings will be kept short to encourage arriving/leaving at the scheduled start and end of the program/rental.
- All groups using the gym, programs or rentals, are required to bring their own equipment with the exceptions of posts & nets.
- City staff will put up posts and nets for parks & recreation programs.
- Cleaning supplies will be available to renters to clean the City equipment being used (posts).
- Hand sanitizer will be available at the entrance of each room/gym for arriving patrons.
- Rentals are required to provide any additional items needed for their participants to maintain COVID protocols; according to viaSport, cleaning of more ‘communal’ type equipment should be performed at regular intervals and this information should be included in your COVID plan.
- All users must keep good records of their participants for contact tracing.
- Showers will be unavailable.
- If you feel sick, have any flu like symptoms or have been exposed to anyone who has been sick – PLEASE STAY HOME!
- If you need to sneeze do so into your elbow and avoid touching your face.
- Please bring hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes with you and use before and after your play time. The club will make these available to players as well.
- Do not share equipment, water bottles or food with other players.
- The Club will supply balls for play and will disinfect them before and after each play session. Balls should be disinfected between each game by the players. When it is safe to do so, please use your paddle or foot to return stray balls to other courts.
- “Zero Tolerance” policy in place for non-adherence to these guidelines. Breach will result in future play not being granted. Following these guidelines is essential for the health and safety of our members and also if we are going to be allowed to continue with indoor play.
- Members will be asked to sign the “AGREEMENT” acknowledging their acceptance of COVID-19 related risks and the release of liability and waiver of claims. This “AGREEMENT” will be accepted electronically and will have the same enforcement as it had been signed. This waiver is required before you are allowed to play indoors. A copy of this AGREEMENT can be found at the end of this document.
Currently, Oliver Woods will only allow bookings to a maximum of 90 minutes per session. To ensure that more members have an opportunity to register for play, members will initially be allowed to register for up to three (3) sessions per week but may be able to play more if space is available. Games will be no longer than 12 minutes.
- Please arrive at the facility 5 minutes before your scheduled play session and come in your gym attire. Shoes may be put on in the gym but you have to maintain social distance while doing so.
- Registration is limited to 24
players per session and players register with a partner
and will only play with their
registered partner and on their assigned court for that session: 6 players per court (3 teams), with no
mixing of players within court and no mixing of players between courts.
- CourtReserve is our new on-line booking system will be operational shortly. When you are logged into Courtreserve you will be able to book play sessions 5 days prior to the session. When you sign up for a session you will be asked for your partner’s name, please enter the first and last name of our partner. In order to be selected to play, both you and your partner need to be registered for the event. The coordinator will approve the successful teams and you will receive a notification email that you have been approved for that play session. After you have been approved both you and your partner must logon to CourtReserve and complete your payment within 24 hours. Important Note: If payment has not been received your spot could be forfeited and another team on the waitlist will be approved and your approval will be cancelled.
- Teams will be assigned a court based on skill level and there will be 3 teams (6 players) per court. Currently, we anticipate having one court for play for novice/beginners per session.
- If one member of the team has to leave early then both team members have to leave as there is no mixing of players on the court.
- If your team member cancels before the play session advise the coordinator of your replacement. If you cannot immediately find a replacement you will not be able to play. Also, if your team member does not show up for the session you will not be able to play and you will have to leave the gym. There will be no refunds if you or your partner cancel except for medical reasons.
- Members are to place their gear (bags, shoes, water bottles) on the bench on their assigned court between the two ends. Members should sanitize their hands and gear before play as well as after play.
- Maintain social distancing at all times during play and during breaks. When your team has a bye, each member should sit on opposite ends of the bench.
- Only 2 players are allowed on the bench at a time so wait for other players to move before approaching the bench. This includes returning to the bench for water.
- Pass stray balls to players on other courts with either your foot or paddle when it is safe to do so.
- Do not return any unsanitized balls to the ball bag.
- After play do not linger in the gym but maintain social distancing and leave the facility and proceed directly to your vehicle.
- A copy of all the teams and court assignments will be kept by the coordinator for contact tracing purposes.
- If you subsequently test positive for COVID-19 after a play session you are to notify the coordinator or a member of the Executive and we would alert public health to do the contact tracing.
MEMBER’S RESPONSIBILITIES WHEN PLAYING AT OLIVER WOODS:
Application – all members while in attendance at club activities (“Participants”)
All Members of Nanaimo Pickleball Club agree to abide by the following points when entering club facilities and/or participating in club activities under the COVID-19 Response plan and RTP Protocol:
· I agree to symptom screening checks, and will immediately let the club know if I have experienced any of the
symptoms in the last 14 days.
· I agree to stay home if feeling sick, and remain home for 14 days if experiencing COVID-19 symptoms.
· I agree to sanitize my hands upon entering and exiting the facility, with soap or sanitizer.
· I agree to sanitize the equipment I use throughout my play with approved cleaning products.
· I agree to continue to follow social distancing protocols of staying at least 2m away from others.
· I agree to not share any equipment during play times.
· I agree to social distance at all times both on and off the court and will inform others if they are not conforming to safe social distancing.
agree to abide by all of my Clubs COVID-19 Policies and Guidelines.
· I understand that if I do not abide by the aforementioned policies/guidelines, that I may be asked to not play in any Club sessions for up to 14 days to help protect myself and others around me.
· I acknowledge that continued abuse of the policies and/or guidelines may result in the temporary suspension of my Club membership.
· I acknowledge that there are risks associated with entering club facilities and/or participating in club activities, and that the measures taken by the club and participants, including those set out above and under the COVID-19 Response Plan and Return to Sport Protocols, will not entirely eliminate those risks.
Player responsibilities will be acknowledged by electronic acceptance of this document.
NANAIMO PICKLEBALL CLUB – INDOOR PICKLEBALL PLAY AT OLIVER WOODS
ASSUMPTION OF RISKS AND OBLIGATIONS, RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND WAIVER OF CLAIMS
BY ACKNOWLEDGING AND ACCEPTING THIS AGREEMENT, THE UNDERSIGNED ASSUMES CERTAIN RISKS AND OBLIGATIONS AND AGREES TO WAIVE CERTAIN LEGAL RIGHTS, INCLUDING THE RIGHT TO SUE OR CLAIM COMPENSATION.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF RISK
- The undersigned participant acknowledges and agrees that the RISK associated with participating in games of pickleball at Oliver Woods, in CONTRACTING COVID-19.
ACCEPTANCE OF RISK
- The undersigned participant accepts the RISK OF CONTRACTING COVID-19 by choosing to enter the Oliver Woods Community Center to participate in pickleball games.
OBLIGATIONS OF THE PARTICIPANT
- The undersigned participant will be required to strictly abide by any and all policies as set by and overseen and enforced by the Nanaimo Pickleball Club concerning the control of COVID-19.
- The undersigned participant is under an obligation to notify the Nanaimo Pickleball Club representation at that play session if they observe any other participant not strictly abiding to the COVID-19 prevention policies.
- The undersigned participant will not attend or use the courts if they are experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19, if they have been in immediate contact with anyone who is experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or if they are otherwise under an obligation to self-isolate or remain under quarantine.
ACCEPTANCE OF OBLIGATIONS
The undersigned participant accepts his/her obligations under this Agreement and acknowledges that a breach of these obligations on their part could result in the temporary suspension of their membership for pickleball play as determined by the Nanaimo Pickleball Club Executive.
- The undersigned participant hereby waives and releases the Nanaimo Pickleball Club and associated directors and volunteers from any and all claims that the undersigned participant may have in the future for:
- any loss or damage the undersigned participant may suffer due to contracting COVID-19, including sickness or death as a result of entering the Oliver Woods Facility for purposes of pickleball play, or as a result of the Nanaimo Pickleball Club or its volunteers not enforcing any of the COVID-19 safety policies; and
- any removal or other discipline imposed on the undersigned participant resulting from any breach of their obligations under this agreement.
- The headings contained in this Agreement are for convenience only and do not limit the scope or intent of this agreement.
- This Agreement shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of the Province of British Columbia and
- Any Litigation involving the parities of this Agreement shall be brought within the province of British Columbia.
- The undersigned participant hereby agrees to indemnify the Nanaimo Pickleball Club, associated directors and volunteers for all liability, expense, costs, damages, losses, claims, actions, causes of action incurred or suffered by reason of the undersigned participant’s breach of this Agreement.
- Electronic acceptance of this agreement will have the same enforcement as if it had been signed.
The undersigned participant has read the Agreement, fully understands the contents and agrees to be bound by its terms. They also understand that they have given up substantial legal rights by acknowledging and agreeing to this Agreement. The undersigned participant acknowledges that they are over 19 years of age.
Participant’s signature Participant’s name in block letters